Performance Management Timeline
Note: The annual performance appraisal process for the period beginning April 1, 2019 through March 31, 2020 will resume on September 1, 2020.*
As part of the campus performance management program, all staff employees are to be appraised in writing annually. For 2020, each organizational unit must certify to Human Resources (HR) by Friday, October 30, 2020, that all staff have received annual appraisals for the 12-month performance period ending on March 31, 2020.
The following activities are to be completed as part of the performance management program. To enable each organizational unit to meet the October 30 deadline, recommended deadlines for each activity are listed in the table shown under Organizational Unit Heads for the September - October time frame.
Please note: Overall performance ratings will be used to determine merit increases for non-represented staff. Each organizational unit is therefore responsible for ensuring a consistent application of performance standards in the rating of its employees. To this end, it is essential that ratings:
- are consistent with campus-wide rating standards and guidelines;
- are accompanied by comments that support the rating and are aligned with those standards;
- are consistently applied across raters for comparable performance; and
- clearly differentiate between levels of performance.
To accomplish this, organizational units are encouraged to conduct internal calibration sessions. For more information, review the Calibration Resource Guide.
For additional information and guidance, please visit the UCR Human Resources’ Performance Management webpage.
*On April 14, 2020 the University of California (UC), Office of the President confirmed the 2019-20 systemwide Annual Performance Appraisal Program for policy-covered staff will be postponed until the fall. A statement from the Office of the President read,
After close consultation with chancellors, and in consideration of the crucial work associated with COVID-19, President Napolitano has suspended the FY 2019-2020 systemwide Annual Performance Appraisal Program for policy-covered staff until the fall.
“I recognize some campuses have already begun or even completed the performance appraisal cycle. Thank you for your diligence and attention to this important process,” said President Napolitano in her note to chancellors. “I greatly appreciate all you are doing to maintain our operations and uphold our mission.”
May - June 2020
Activities for Human Resources
- Announce the annual Performance Management Process to the campus.
Activities for Organizational Heads
- Communicate to all employees the online performance management resources are available on the HR Performance Management webpage. The following timeline shows the dates by which all related documents and activities are to be completed/submitted. The following are recommended timeframes/deadlines:
Supervisor asks employee to complete self-assessment September 1, 2020 Employee submits self-assessment to supervisor September 11, 2020 Supervisor completes draft performance appraisal for each direct report September 11-25, 2020 Internal calibration activities and finalization of performance appraisals September 25-October 2, 2020 In-person performance appraisal sessions with employees October 2-16, 2020 Goal Agreement form is finalized for next review period October 2-23, 2020 Organizational units certify performance appraisal ratings to central Human Resources October 30, 2020
- Activities for Department Heads
Activities for Supervisors
- Provide the Performance Appraisal Form to direct reports and request submission of self-assessments by the deadline established by your organization. Employees who do not have access to computers should be provided a Performance Appraisal Addendum Form to complete by hand. Once completed, it should be attached to the employee’s Performance Appraisal Form.
July - August 2020
Helpful Hints - Training and Information Resources
Completion of Mandatory Cybersecurity and Sexual Harassment Training
The 2019-2020 Performance Appraisal cycle ended on March 31, 2020. In the remaining weeks, employees should confirm that they have completed the mandatory trainings assigned to them. The Mandatory Training Certification section on the performance appraisal form references mandatory trainings in Cybersecurity and Sexual Harassment Prevention. The form notes that “noncompliance will impact the employee’s merit award.”
To confirm completion of mandatory training requirements:
- Visit the UC Learning Center (LMS)
- Click on Required Trainings – a list of assigned training and status will be available for review
- Complete any training that is still outstanding*
If you have not already done so, be sure to visit the UCR Performance Management webpages for more information regarding performance management timelines and other useful resources.
*Noncompliance will impact merit increases
In-Person Information Sessions
Please note that the In-Person Information Sessions have been cancelled. If you have questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
Dedicated Performance Management Email | Human Resources Business Partners
Did you know that two Performance Management resources are available to answer your specific questions about this year’s process? The resources, available to both supervisory and non-supervisory employees, are:
- Departmental Human Resources and/or your Human Resources Business Partners (HRBPs) are available to help you with questions related to this year’s Performance Management process.
A dedicated Performance Management email address, firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions sent to this address will receive a response before the end of the next business day.
Self Assessment Completion Process
Supervisors are reminded to provide their direct reports with the Performance Appraisal form on or about September 1, 2020. Direct reports should then complete the Self-Assessment section and return it to their supervisor on or about September 11 (see the suggested Performance Management timeline available on the Performance Management Timeline webpage. Note: timelines established by individual organizations may vary.)
Directions to complete the self-assessment are provided on the form. However, additional assistance in completing this and other parts of the performance appraisal form can be found in the Zoom meeting recording. To access this helpful instructional video, please go to the UCR Performance Management webpages.
- Activities for all employees
Activities for Supervisors
- Review the online campus performance management resources which are available on the HR Performance Management webpage and the Forms and Documents webpage > Performance Management.
- Review and update the job description of direct reports, if necessary.
- If appropriate, use the Supervisor Guide for Supplemental Performance Feedback form to gather supplemental performance feedback from others.
- Where available, gather and review goals and expectations set for each direct report for the 2019-2020 review period.
- Gather performance files/diaries and other records of performance you have maintained on your direct reports.
- Supervisors are encouraged to view the UC Performance Management Overview Module, if not previously completed online via the UC Learning Center (LMS).
UC's 8-Part Performance Management Series (highlighted modules are strongly encouraged in advance of preparing evaluations for your staff)
Module 1: UC Performance Management Overview
Module 2: UC Setting Expectations and Individual Performance Goals
Module 3: UC Giving and Receiving Feedback
Module 4: UC Engaging and Developing Employees
Module 5: UC Conducting Performance Appraisals
Module 6: UC Motivating, Recognizing and Rewarding Employees
Module 7: UC Coaching for Performance and Development
Module 8: UC Managing Corrective Action
- Activities for Department Heads
September - October 2020
During the Month of September - compile, analyze and report on the performance management process to senior management.
Activities for all employees
- Complete and submit the employee self-assessment portions of the Performance Appraisal Form to your supervisor by the deadline established by your organizational unit.
Activities for Supervisors
- Review the employee self-assessment portion of the Performance Appraisal Form which should be completed by each direct report.
- Review the Performance Factors and Behavior Indicators Guide.
- Review any supplemental feedback forms and other performance records maintained during the review period.
- Complete a draft Performance Appraisal for each direct report.
- Submit draft Performance Appraisals for review and calibration, per organizational unit head’s direction.
- Finalize Performance Appraisals for each direct report following the calibration process established by the organization's unit head.
- Ensure that senior departmental approval/sign off has been received prior to conducting the performance appraisal meetings with your direct reports.
- Conduct a performance appraisal meeting with your direct reports by the deadline established by your organizational unit head.
- Complete a Goal Agreement Form for each direct report receiving an overall rating of three (3) or higher, by the deadline established by your organizational unit head.
- For any employee who receives an overall rating of a two (2) or one (1), contact your department HR representative for assistance in preparing a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) for the employee, in lieu of completing the Goal Agreement Form.
Activities for the Organizational Unit Heads
- Submit the Performance Management Certification Letter to central HR indicating that all of the performance appraisals have been completed by e-mail to email@example.com.
- Submit the Performance Appraisal Audit Spreadsheet to central HR indicating performance ratings provided to each staff employee and/or the reason a performance appraisal was not completed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.